Friday 1 May 2015

My Heart's Tonight in Ireland (in the Sweet County Clare), Andy Irvine and Friends, Royal Albert Hall, London

"Ceiliúradh (Celebration), a special evening of music, spoken word and dance, featuring artists from Ireland and the United Kingdom, took place in the Royal Albert Hall on Thursday 10 April, 2014 to mark the historic occasion of the first State Visit by the President of Ireland to the United Kingdom. The concert takes its inspiration from the Irish session where each artist contributes towards the creation of a unique and intimate evening. The line-up of artists to perform in the presence of the President Higgins included Imelda May, The Gloaming, Paul Brady, Lisa Hannigan, Glen Hansard, Andy Irvine, Donal Lunny, Peter Coughlan (curly red hair with glasses, front man of the Hungry Grass.), The West Ocean Quartet, Joseph O’Connor and Fiona Shaw, etc. The house band included acclaimed musicians Liam Bradley, John Carty, Anthony Drennan, Graham Henderson, Mike McGoldrick, Paul Moore, Caitlín Nic Gabhann, Máirtín O’Connor and Brendan Power. Put together by the inimitable Dónal Lunny."

My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare, (Andy Irvine)

My heart tonight is far away across the rolling sea In the sweet Milltown Malbay it is there I'd love to be So long ago and far away but nothing can compare My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare

In the town of Scariff the sun was shining in the sky When Willie Clancy played his pipes and the tears welled in my eyes Many years have passed and gone since the times we had there But my heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare

My heart tonight is far away across the rolling sea In the sweet Milltown Malbay it is there I'd love to be So long ago and far away but nothing can compare My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare

That August in Kilrush when the rain was lashing down And our hotel was that haybarn on the outskirts of town We were all sick and feverish and Dolan had the flu But Johnny produced some whiskey and the sun came smiling through

My heart tonight is far away across the rolling sea In the sweet Milltown Malbay it is there I'd love to be So long ago and far away but nothing can compare My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare

Those nights in Six Mile Bridge when the music flowed And it came to closing time the lights were turned down low And the sergeant from Kilkishin he would buy us all one more And we never left that pub before the clock was striking four

Lahinch and Enistymon, Lisceanar and Kilkee But best of all was Milltown when the music flowed so free Willie Clancy in the County Clare I'm ever in your debt For the sights and sounds of yesterday are shining memories yet

My heart tonight is far away across the rolling sea In the sweet Milltown Malbay and it is there I'd love to be So long ago and far away but nothing can compare My heart's tonight in Ireland in the sweet County Clare In the days of Sweeney in the sweet County Clare.

Posted on Youtube on the 7th of February 2015 by TG Amhrán.

No comments: